Bicycle Ambulance

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Great Day

I would like to introduce you to Miguel a collegue in the village of Nhamatanda.  Miguel comes from a long line of spiritual mystics and is a traditional healer (witch doctor).  He brought me into his office and gave me a free consultation. (professional courtesy)  He told me that I had problems in my family and it was due to the fact that I had a bad spirit.  He told me I needed to cut myself in 3 places and then place a certain root on the cuts.  He then told me that he would envelope me in a certain type of smoke.  He said that there were people angry with me and they were out to hurt me.  I gave his wife a free consultation about a her son who sounded like he had malaria.  I was priviliged to teach the village the importance of building and using latrines to help prevent the spread of disease.  I previewed the Care for Life health booklet we are developing and encouraged them to try to accomplish all the goals they set with Care for Life to improve the lives of their families and the community.  I had the oportunity to award some of the members of the community a mosquito net and a waterer for accomplishing their goals with the Care for Life program.  I made a friend with Philiip.  He was playing football (soccer) with a small ball made out of scraps of plastic grocery bags.  I was doing a little scouting for the Diamondbacks and taught the boys to throw and catch the ball instead of kicking it with their feet .  They enjoyed catching the high balls I threw in the air.  They seldom missed the ball.  On the way back we bought vegetables and fruit from the roadside market and stopped at the river to buy some shrimp.  We paid 450 metacai ($15 US) for 2 laundry tubs of fresh prawns and believe it or not the 4 of us ate them all when we got back. Jonathan made a shrimp cream sauce with sweet cream, garlic, and dijon mustard over rice.  Interesting taste.  He got the recipe while living and serving a Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Brazil. I can't wait till tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment